Thinking about the future can be scary. For many people, the fear of the unknown fuels their anxiety about the future.
If you feel anxious about your future, here are a few things to remember:
- It’s normal to feel anxious about your future. In fact, anxiety can actually be beneficial if it motivates you to identify what is causing your anxiety and take steps to lessen or get rid of it.
- It can often be difficult to pinpoint the source of your anxiety so talking to a therapist can help you do that.
- Instead of focusing on the unknown, focus on what you can control. You can’t control what other people do; you can only control what you do. The key is to do what you can to better your life.
- Let’s say things don’t go your way. Humans adapt! You didn’t stop having fun when your favorite childhood toy broke–you found a new one. A few setbacks isn’t the end of the world.
- Be optimistic! I know that’s easier said than done, but it makes a tremendous difference.
Overall, worrying about the future is a broad topic, but I hope some of these tips helped. Let me know if you have any questions in the comment section below!
By: Katie Ousley, Anxiety In Teens Contributor